Today’s Nine Things
December 9, 2010 | My Jottings
1. It’s snowing today – three more inches is the prediction. The sky is low and gray and it’s a perfect afternoon for tree lights, Christmas music and paperwork a good book.
2. We put our tree in the corner this year instead of in the front window. It sits next to the newly installed fireplace mantel in our living room.
3. I’m feeling my age. In fact, I think I’m feeling someone else’s age…someone who’s much older than I am. I’m pretty sure I have needles under my kneecaps. The elasticity has gone from my skin. I think a good night’s sleep is very exciting. And I’m thinking about prepaid funeral plans.
What also makes me feel my age is this:
The photo above was taken in December of 1982.
Now these three little sweethearts look like this:
3. My blog is currently being redesigned and it will look completely different within the next couple of weeks. Then, because I have a few difficulties with change, I will most likely never do it again.
4. I am going to learn to knit. I think it’s about time since my oldest daughter dyes yarn for a living. If anyone in my area would like to take a class with me in January (once a week for four weeks, taught by Sharon), let me know. It will be at my home.
5. Here’s what’s on our house stereo intercom today, while the snow falls outside and the tree lights twinkle inside:
6. Here’s one of the best salad recipes you’ll ever try, called Panzanella. (Just be sure you plan on using more olive oil to cook the bread than she calls for, and I always double the dressing recipe too.) I make this a lot, and everyone asks for the recipe because it’s so eye-rollingly delectable.
7. I’m trying to figure out if I need a travel agent to help with our trip to Scotland next September. Does anyone have any recommendations? Since there will be planes, trains and automobiles involved (and buses), I just don’t know.
8. A gratitude journal can work miracles.
9. Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid.”
I’m so thankful for this today.
What are your nine things?
Try daughter Sally Rogers for the Scotland trip, Julie. She and Dale sneak over there every chance they get. She suggested the estate fund a trip there to scatter my ashes on Loch Ness, or somewhere. I told her my estate wouldn’t get her past to Twig. Maybe scatter at the Swamp Sisters. Fun days in Tucson.
1. My friend, the other student worker in my office (Tiffany), OFFERED to come help me paint my room tonight. I’m thrilled at the thought of help!
2. I’m painting my room tonight. A lovely shade of blue grey. My bed will have a yellow duvet, with sage, brown, dark blues, and purple colors in all the various and un-matched pillows. The walls will be covered with vintage plates, antique keys, dried flowers and sepia toned old pictures.
3. My eyes are really dry today. I’m in need of eye drops.
4. There is a potluck at The Guys House (one of the houses my pastor owns, which is rented out to 5 guys in Chi Alpha) tomorrow night. I’m making triple-chocolate peppermint trifle. It’s the best dessert I have ever made. And I am really looking forward to this fun-filled potluck – it’s going to be joy-filled!
5. I have some pretty amazing bosses. They are funny, sweet, respectable and caring.
6. I keep thinking about all the books I have that I want to read this Christmas break (Flashbang, all the Chronicles of Narnia, little women, prophetic evangelism, velvet elvis, and another book I can’t remember that someone gave me).
7. This is the second year of my life that I did not get to decorate my home for christmas (my Murray one, which is my more permanent one; I spend the most time there). It kinda breaks my heart… Decorating for Christmas and putting up a tree is one of my favorite things.
8. I have a new pen pal, her name is Julie Anderson. She lives in Ohio and we are pretty much the same person – except that she’s red haired, slim and gorgeous. I love her already. We swap recipes.
9. I have spent more time with Katie Gagel (one of my best friends) in the past week than I ever have before. And I love it.
I hoped you’d leave a list, my list-loving niece. It sounds like life is blessed for you right now! Love you….
You want 9 things? Hmmm…
1. It has stopped raining.
2 My SIL is flooded in but not evacuated.
3. I am getting a lot of reading done just now.
4. 3 out of 5 of mine will be home for Christmas
5. My oldest has been deployed to Townsville rather than Afghanistan. Many thanks, Lord…
6. My garden is producing lots & lots of yummy things to eat.
7. My cats are so happy to have me home for a whole day! ?
8. My Dearest is happy to have me home.
9. I am happy to be home. lol
I don’t usually do lists but I enjoyed yours. Blessings.
I loved your list, Ganeida. I’m so glad about all of them for you, especially 4 and 5. Blessings!