December 3, 2008 | My Jottings
I’ve been thinking about a topic for our December blog giveaway, and I’ve come up with Little Known Facts. I think we should all share something that most people might not know about us. Nothing heinous or extremely gross, but maybe a fact or two that the average person might not know about you. Pump up your courage and get ready to post a comment on the blog, because there will be a gift in it for some of you!
For example, you might have a hidden talent and be able to knit with your eyes closed, or perhaps you have climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro. It could be that you have very wretched unique tastes – maybe you like to eat pickles dipped in powdered sugar or spaghetti noodles tossed with vinegar. Maybe you refuse to wear orange, will only buy one kind of toilet paper, or are a member of the ROAR! Club.
So I’ll go first, except that I don’t qualify for the prizes…unless I wrap these nice gifts and no one posts a comment.
1. I have been invited to be on the Oprah Winfrey show. (I declined – a story in itself.)
2. I gave birth to a child at home with a midwife.
3. My husband and I were engaged before we met, and spent time together only once before we tied the knot.
4. I have flown a plane and do not have a pilot’s license (and am afraid of flying).
5. When I’m in an audience and the applause begins at the end of a performance, I have an odd habit of counting how many times I clap my hands.
There you go – I could share more but it’s your turn. And I’ll bet I’m not the only one who could use a chuckle. 🙂
I had a flamingo tatooed on my leg on our honeymoon. I can’t buy yogurt containers in odd numbers (I have to take them off the shelf in pairs and pair them up in my cart). I hate being wet. If I lived alone I would eat mostly cereal and pizza. I used to play the trumpet in a backup band for a jazz choir and one of our competitions took place on a cruise in the Bahamas! I took piano lessons for 13 years. I cannot stand mushrooms. That’s just a few.
Ohhh, you have “issues” (some say iss-yews) like I do, Jessica, if you can’t buy yogurt in odd numbers! So funny! And you hate being wet? Even in a shower or a bath? Do we assume you don’t swim, then? These were just great – you made us laugh today. Share some others when you think of them…
I am very adept at driving with my knees.
I don’t like getting manicures. Or pedicures.
I never carry cash or checks.
Whenever my mom helps me move, she throws out a bunch of my items and thinks I don’t notice them in the trash. I’ve decided not to move for a while.
I love, love, love the smell of permanent marker.
I am addicted to fruit snacks.
I am ‘double-jointed’ in my left thumb ann am constantly cracking the knuckle.
I enjoy singing fake opera.
I talk to myself, aloud, all the time. I also have imaginary conversations with people when I am alone.
I don’t particularly enjoy the outdoors, unless the weather is perfect. And not so much then.
I like carrots raw, but not cooked. I like mushrooms cooked, but not raw.
I like to manipulate my face so I can see how ugly I’d look with plastic surgery. i.e– pull my face back taut, make my lips look like they are filled with saline, eyebrow lift, etc.
*When unloading groceries from the cart to the check stand I have to put like items with like items ~ all the cans together, all the produce together, frozen entrees together ~ you get the picture. I probably do the yogurt thing too Jessica 🙂
*I hate putting gasoline in my car.
*I do not like crowds, will avoid them if at all possible.
*Collected stuffed animals until well into my 30’s
*intensely dislike dressing up regardless of the occasion.
*really do not like to eat but do so because I have to.
*Am obsessed with working at being organized, but don’t ever feel like I get there :).
*oh, and I am also obsessed with anything “Kinkade” as in Thomas Kinkade.
Tauni, meet Jessica. Jessica, meet Tauni. I have a feeling you both would just love each other. 🙂
I knew you’d ask about the water thing…being the swimmer that you are. I actually enjoy water sports (I once tried to be part of a pyramid on waterskis with two other people…we failed…miserably…) and don’t mind being in the water. But once I get out, I cannot dry off fast enough. It helps that I now have short hair. The wet hair hanging down on my back was a big part of the problem. Yes, I do have issues. Like the fact that I can’t eat things without them being evenly divided between the sides of my mouth. M&M’s are a great example. One for the left, one for the right. You get the idea. And the colors need to be divided evenly as well. And I’ve actually never been diagnosed with OCD!! I also have tremendous sympathy for inanimate objects. How do you spell inanimate???? Anyway, you’re learning far too much about the inner workings of my head.
I positively hate living alone. I love my house clean but can get really sloppey if no one is around. I can then clean it fast if I think someone is coming over. I think I am a workaholic and am the happiest when I am on a mission. I never liked Disneyland or large crowds anywhere. I feel like
I should be taking a class but will not put forth the effort.
I always loved Thanksgiving and Christmas but not since Doc went home to be with The Lord.
I met my husband when he was looking for someone to castrate his goats. I was the “goat lady” on the mountain and yup…..I went to his ranch and taught him how to do it…..(he was never able to.)
I had my first (and only) child at the age of 41. That’s not such a big deal now as grandmothers are gestating their grandchildren.
I went hot air ballooning over the Calif. desert and crash landed in an onion field.
For 22 years I worked as a Nurse Practitioner for Kaiser. At least twice a year I came to work carrying a covered picnic basket which contained from 1-6 newborn orphaned kittens. I would lock them up in my desk drawer and bottle feed them inbetween seeing my patients. I would have been fired if caught.
My favorite foods are coffee and cheese….probably in that order.
I like animals better than people.
1. At the age of four my mom convinced me, for about one week, that I was mistaken in thinking that my middle name was Kate. She told me it was Gate. I was crushed.
2. I once knew a man who could put dental floss up his nose and pull it out his mouth. I almost died trying to accomplish that.
3. I have this weird personal game where, when I people-watch, I try and figure what they would be if they were an animal.
4. I have street preached in Nassau, Bahamas.
5. The first time I watched Indiana Jones “The Temple of Doom” I was so scared that my mom would find out that it ruined the movie forever for me.
6. I can’t touch dry cotton balls. They squeak and it makes me cringe.
7. I live in a house with five girls, and we all share one bathroom.
8. When I get married, on our first Christmas, my husband will give me two golden retriever puppies (one for me, one for him) and they will be named Daisy Roo and Abraham.
9. When I was five I was watching the Disney movie Dumbo, and I was so upset that they took the baby elephant away from it’s mom that I shot the TV with a squirt gun and shorted it out. We didn’t have a TV for three years.
10. When I was eleven I placed 5th in the SouthEast Regionals Dulcimer Competition in Mountain View, Arkansas. I own nine dulcimers.